Wednesday, November 24, 2010

VAR

VAR
This is a term tossed around my industry.  Does VAR mean anything to you?

Maybe it means "Value at Risk"?


Maybe it is a variable in Java script?


How about "Value added Reseller"?



Any clearer?  Not to me either. 

I'm in the software industry and in the software industry a VAR is a Value Added Reseller. 
BLAH BLAH BLAH. 
Still means nothing to the costumer.

So I thought that I would shed some light on the term VAR from a VAR point-of-view.

I would like to trade out the title of VAR and exchange it for something like "My geek broker" or "Our Paradigm Shift Consultants".   I took that from one of Robert Urwiler's Hierarchy of IT Value.

I added "My" and "Our" because we work for you.  So possessive is appropriate. We also specialize in listening to your needs and formulating a solution that meets your specific needs. 

We are an extension of your business.  We consider ourselves a partner in your organization, and we want to help you achieve your goals.  Since we have assisted many other companies there are some best practices that we share but we are there to help you with your biggest business PAIN.  Just call us, and we are glad to listen and suggest solutions.  We have a quiver of products that will help you with a solution.  Most of our recommendations have very quick ROIs (returns on investments) and we will even help train your staff on how to use these "solution" tools.

So VAR and Value Added Reseller are terms labels us from the product side of the industry.  I would like to reverse that perspective and come up with a some terms other than VAR from the customers side.

I'd like to post the top 5 ideas for new terms that would replace "VAR".  Please add your thoughts in the comments below.  I will post them the first week of January.

Oh ya, please check out our website to learn more about "your geek broker".  http://www.mountain-scanners.com/
Jon Zalinski
Mountain Scanners

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? Let us know.